Saturday, March 3, 2012

Blessed are those who mourn

These past few weeks have been hard. And hard just seems like a lame way of describing it. I will tell you this: we lost 4 patients who we follow at clinic last week.  I'm still processing so much of it that it's insanely hard to describe. But I will tell you that it was one of those weeks that I felt my senses were in hyperdrive. So I will describe to you some of my more vivid memories.

Samuel's tiny black coffin as we took it to the Catholic graveyard. The way Roselande felt as I tried to help her breathe. The way her Mama continues to look at me everyday with sad eyes, asking me for medicine for a headache she has from crying all day and all night. A grandma who came to tell us that her daughter died and that she needed help getting formula- the way her voice was hoarse, almost gone from wailing. Hearing that a young man we saw on the first day of clinic had died- remembering how his body looked so tired and sick that day. Wondering how much more we were going to be given. Starting a journal with Keziah, writing down their stories and remembering them.

So I got back to Jesus. Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted. Jesus weeping for his friend, Lazarus. BLESSED are those who mourn.

"Farther along we'll know all about it
Farther along we'll understand why
Cheer up my brothers, live in the sunshine
We'll understand this all by and by"
-Farther Along, by Josh Garrels

3 comments:

  1. *HUG* Grace Face... I pray for your strength...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace... thank you for sharing your low moments. We want to help carry your burdens. You are loved, my friend.

    ReplyDelete