Monday, March 12, 2012

What time is it anyways?

Sunday was daylight savings time- for most people. For our community in Haiti, it was a day of confusion. I didn't find out until much later in the afternoon that Haiti had (maybe) decided to observe it. So a few of us made the switch after talking with some people and hearing it being talked about in the streets. The school teachers decided to not observe it. So we were going to start the day with two different clocks. 

When I woke up to get ready for clinic in the dark, I realized that I hated the idea of switching. Of our staff giving out clinic cards in the dark, waking up and getting ready for clinic everyday without sun (and sometimes power), and having the end of my day be the hottest part of my day. But I got an early start. I get to clinic, only for our nursing assistants to not be there. Our nurse to show up on normal time (late). The school to be in confusion because some kids & teachers showed up early, some later. Asking a boy and his mother to come back for another breathing treatment at...wait, what time? All day, not knowing what time it was. What time is it anyways? 

So I had a day of no time. Of looking at my watch not knowing what time it was. Think of what chaos that would bring to the United States. And yet life here continued with only mild chaos.

"I'm late. I'm late. For a very important date. No time to say 'Hello, goodbye.' I'm late, I'm late, I'm late!"
~The White Rabbit, Alice in Wonderland

One of my favorite faces.

Gouda cheese from my wonderful Mom!

After a clinic visit

2 comments:

  1. lunch is a place, not a time. miss you grace. (i have also been practicing some creole.... Ki le li fe? Is that right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you so much. I loved watching the video with Rihana music. I think I told you that I went to Haiti a long time ago. I remember it very well. I was only there for 10 days but, we got a lot done. We had to mix cement by hand on a board. So, I was super jealous to see your cement mixer. I still say that going there was one of the best experiences of my life. I certainly wish that I would have done what you are doing while I was single. I am very proud of you. I am so impressed with how you have handled the kids passing away. I agree with your response. Even though you are a world away, life still has the same value and it just sucks to see people leave when they are so young. I miss your face and I love reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete