Friday, April 27, 2012

Kingdom

Kingdom come. It's a phrase that is heard in churches everywhere, locker rooms before games, and on a regular basis here in our community. We are asked in Scripture to pray for it. We believe it is possible. But how does it come about? I find myself frequently hitting a place of not knowing what to pray for. So I revert back to asking for His Kingdom to come here. In everyday things. We pray for The Kingdom to come in Jubilee. In Gonaives. Inside of my head & heart. But how? Where? When?

"All the way to heaven is Heaven, because He said I am the Way."
-St. Catherine of Siena

So we're on the road to Kingdom come. And I ask for it when passing little Daniel, a severely malnourished kiddo we took to Port Au Prince, around the car because he's so bony it's hard to keep him comfortable. I ask for The Kingdom to come in hoping for a visa to the States for a friend. In dealing with community in the hard things. In hearing a friend ask me for food for her & her family. That somehow He would take this messy world we live in and turn it into His Kingdom.

And I occasionally catch a glimpse. In rest. In medical supplies brought in- without request- from friends. In laughter. In english classes. In visitors. In growth. In jewelry making. In justice. In forgiveness. In friendship. In gardens. In kids at school. He's bringing The Kingdom- sometimes I just forget to watch for it.

"Take your face out of your hands
And clear your eyes
You have a right to your dreams
And don't be denied
I believe in a better way."
-Ben Harper

Daniel

Best friends

No comments:

Post a Comment