Friday, June 15, 2012

Abnormal Normality

"Congratulations! Today is your day. You're off to Great Places! You're off & away!"

I ride a moto taxi to work...and a taptap home.

Losing power is a regular, at least daily, occurrence. I have to leave my headlamp in the same place to know where to go when it does flip off.

Buying groceries involves visiting a different person for each single item.

I haven't worn close-toed shoes since January.

"Out there things can happen & frequently do to people as brainy & footsy as you. And when things start to happen, don't worry. Don't stew. Just go right along. You'll start happening too."

My dinner table is sometimes a table, sometimes a blanket on the roof, & other times a water barrel in Jubilee.

I now greet people with a kiss on the cheek.

I find myself attempting to translate conversations with Americans into Creole.

To walk into a room with AC makes me feel as though something is wrong.

"I'm afraid that some times you'll play lonely games too. Games you can't win 'cause you'll play against you. All Alone! Whether you like it or not, alone is something you'll be quite a lot. And when you're alone, there's a very good chance you'll meet things that scare you right out of your pants. There are some that can scare you so much you won't want to go on."

I walk to get minutes for my phone at a bar down the road.

I light my stove & oven with a match.

The excitement of my week can be running water, a new doorway, finding watermelon for dinner, or receiving an unexpected, encouraging email from a friend.

CLIF bars are my preferred lunch.

"Clean clothes" now mean clothes that do not smell horribly, have no clearly visible filth on them, or are nice & stretched from hanging in the sun.

"On & on you will hike. And I know you'll hike far & face up to your problems whatever they are."

When cleaning a wound, I try to use as little gauze or cotton as possible to not waste.

I routinely do dressing changes with one glove, to save on supplies.

Sometimes I ask for follow-ups on my days off; for their health & my peace of mind.

My days off can involve a trip to the river. Or my days off can sometimes be busier than my days on.

"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way!"
Oh, the Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss

IV placing practice


"God, give us discomfort at easy answers, half-truths, & superficial relationships, so that instead we may live deep within our hearts. Grant us anger at injustice, oppression, & exploitation of people, so that we may wish for justice, freedom, & peace. Bless us with enough foolishness to believe that we can make a difference in this world, so that we can do what others claim cannot be done."
-Common Prayer

1 comment:

  1. This common prayer is my favorite and I must post it on my fridge. Love you and love reading your posts. So proud of you. Just found out Uncle SAm has been called to a little church in Bluffton. I will tell you about it in a long email. Just wanted you to know I think about you and pray for you so much. Still miss having you here. I love you. Aunt D.

    ReplyDelete