Friday, June 1, 2012

Happy Hurricane Season

June First! Today marks the beginning of hurricane season. It is something that I'm choosing to recognize, especially as Isaac & I sat on the porch last night and watched a beautiful storm blow in. I now live on an island in the Caribbean. An island that routinely gets hit by hurricanes & has flooding issues. Hmm, maybe tonights plans should include an anti-hurricane dance on the roof...
Hangin' on the roof with Kelly
I love to read. That is something that has been passed down to me from my parents & grandparents. My kindle has been broken for awhile so I have been living off of books here. I have been reading a book called Following Jesus Through the Eye of the Needle by Kent Annan. If you ever want to get a pretty detailed idea of life live here, read this book. He has this ability to be so truthful in his writing that it's a bit scary. I spent a few hours today escaping to read in the boys house in Jubilee. And then to walk outside and live in the world I was reading about was a bit crazy. Sometimes my eyes are focused to where I see fun, beauty, growth, & change. While some days I am wallowing in the Pit of Despair (yep, just like in the Princess Bride). Kent Annan does an amazing way of telling the story of moving here & doing life here.
The fevers continue
"Being pushed to my limits in every way brings back Jesus' question to the rich young man. I've answered in part but I still feel like I'm being asked, "What are you willing to give up?"... These days, whether living around the corner from a Burger Kind or living here, where the nearest bacon double cheeseburger seems a million miles away, I think part of the answer is another pair of questions: What is in the way of my loving more? And what am I going to do now to starve this desire- so I can hunger for something better?"
~Following Jesus Through the Eye of the Needle, Kent Annan

Clinic cleaning involves a dance party- ALWAYS!
"The way to Christ is first through humility, second through humility, third through humility. If humility does not precede and accompany and follow every good work we do, if it is not before us to focus on, if it is not beside us to lean upon, if it is not behind us to fence us in, pride will wrench from our hand any good deed we do at the very moment we do it."
~Augustine of Hippo

No comments:

Post a Comment