Friday, August 31, 2012

I think it's going to rain today

It turns out, Tropical Storm Isaac involved lots of wind & rain. I stayed out at LaLa's house in Jubilee where on Friday night we experienced the house shaking because of the wind. I remember stepping outside & looking at the trash &, for some reason, the fire was still burning despite the wind & rain. On Saturday, we ran into quite a lot of flooding closer to Port Au Prince, plus a manifestation. The town had called the U.N. to come fix a plugged pipe before the storm hit. But no one showed. So the water came & people were stuck in about 8 ft of water, waiting in or on their houses. So we waited at their roadblock for U.N. to show up and fix the drainage. Which they eventually did. 

On our way home from Port, we came upon a bus crash between Saint Marc & Gonaives. Ended up stopping, sliding down the bank, & joining in the search & rescue. I do not think that I've really begun to process this so I'm not going to even pretend to blog on it. I'm really good at answering questions about it right now, but can't yet do any more than that. I will, however, share the blogs of two others who were with me.


Watching the storm come at LaLa's house.
Bridge leaving Port Au Prince. More water in it than I've ever seen.
"Bright before me the signs implore me:
Help the needy and show them the way.
Human kindness is overflowing
And I think it's going to rain today."

~I think it's going to rain today~
Norah Jones

3 comments:

  1. Oh Grace, I can't imagine the weight you must be carrying dealing with this accident. Christ knows your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace... thank you for including the extra links to your friend's blogs. You have been in our thoughts and prayers more so than ever. Please know we love you.
    Always,
    Beth Tibbs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to actually talk to you. Is that possible?? Love you, Auntie Margery

    ReplyDelete