Saturday, January 5, 2013

Nothing is too much trouble

While I was in Salt Lake City, it was requested that I make Haitian food. But one of the funny things about living here is that when I want Haitian food, I go buy it off the street. And they do it so well: Haitian spaghetti, street chicken, rice & bean sauce, juice, & fried goodness.

I have gone to eat twice with neighbors, & twice I was made homemade juice. It's so delicious- especially with some ice on a hot day. I was telling a friend in Jubilee that I wanted to learn how to make it & she said she would teach me. So a few days ago, I went with Katie (check out her blog!) to our friend's house and made juice. We used oranges, a grapefruit-type fruit, & passion fruit. She was so patient in her teaching, laughed at our hesitancies, & we were invited to eat dinner with their family.

Their house was recently painted & is beautiful- inside & out. Everyone, and I really do mean EVERYONE, in Haiti does deep cleaning on December 31st. It was insanely clean. So as I sat and ate with them, I thought just how homey it was. Inside and out. A 2 room house with a family of 6, no indoor plumbing, & I thought of just how much this felt like a blessing. Community. Giving and receiving. Talking and listening. Laughing and telling stories. Being invited to eat with people in Jubilee is rare. Very rare. This was a perfect way to ring in the New Year.






"Nothing is too much trouble if it turns out the way it should."
-Julia Child-
My Life in France

No comments:

Post a Comment