Sunday, January 13, 2013

One Man's Trash

Last week, Mama Kathy & I had a date. A date to head into Jubilee, pass the school & clinic, and go romping through the dump. This (shockingly) is something that I had not done. We were inspired by watching Waste Land. And all signs were pointing to going to sift through the trash looking for treasures. One of the things I love about Mama K is her artistic spirit & eye (checkout 2nd Story Goods). I, however, have an artistic moment about once a year. She was looking for larger items while I was thinking small. So we headed out & sifted through the trash. 

We attracted some attention of the kids already sifting through the items, and they joined us, walking and pointing things out. I leaned down to pick up some glass, & I saw something incredible. Jubilee sits on a salt flat so things grow very sparcely. But here, growing amongst the trash, was a tiny little plant. So the kids helped us push away the trash surrounding it and built is a small can barrier. Tiny bit of hope growing amongst the rejected things.

The uses of Justin Bieber Duct Tape- removing fiberglass from your arm.
"Why sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
Alice in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll

1 comment:

  1. thought you might like this!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXynrsrTKbI&feature=share

    ReplyDelete