Saturday, January 19, 2013

Unexpected

One of the joys of clinic is that you never know who is going to step through the door. What you will see next. And Tuesday was just such a day. I had stepped out of clinic and saw a teenage boy sitting outside with a towel covering his hand. I asked one of our nursing assistants to get him inside & make him a file. By the time I came back inside, his hand was uncovered & his file made. I was able to really look at his hand for the first time. And his hand was huge. HUGE. Clearly he had a large pocket of pus inside the palm of his hand. But it looked different, oddly shaped, & unusually large. So I cleaned the outside and proceeded to open the swollen part with a needle. At first there was only a little bit of blood. And then pus- OH PUS. The most pus I have ever drained out of anything in a single visit. Easily 50 ml of pus. And my poor patient, he was such a champ.
First viewing
His hand is so much smaller and healing beautifully. And this teenage boy is hilarious. He sits and jokes with me as I drain his wound & change his bandage. Sometimes friends come from pus filled hands.
Bieber's continued presence in our house.
"A Christian is one who points at Christ and says, 'I can't prove a thing, but there's something about his eyes and his voice. There's something about the way he carries his head, his hands, the way he carries his cross- the way he carries me.'"
-Frederick Buechner

No comments:

Post a Comment