Monday, April 22, 2013

Adventures in Food

Since living in Haiti, I have slowly been experimenting more with new foods, spices, & recipes. Whether it is trying to cook something completely new or finding ways to adjust to make a favorite recipe, it has been my creative expression. There are things that, Stateside, you don't think twice about. Cheese. Yogurt. Beef. Ice. Strawberries. Blueberries. Romaine lettuce. Here, we can have long conversations about what food would hit just the right spot.

While on Nurse Spring break, I had the pleasure of rest and relaxation at a beautiful location on the ocean. Occasionally I forget that I live in the Caribbean.

I read a book called Bread & Wine: A Love Letter to Life Around the Table with Recipes by Shauna Niequist. This book is beautifully written and fun. So if you are looking for a reason to start cooking again, pick it up.

"Life at the table is life at its best to me, and the spiritual significance of what and how we eat, and with whom and where, is new and profound to me every day. 
I believe God is here among us, present and working. I believe all of life is shot through with God's presence, and that part of the gift of walking with him is seeing his fingerprints in all sorts of unexpected way."
Picnic during Nurse Spring Break.
Cheese, salami, & crackers go a long way.
Tropical fruit, juice, & coffee.
Even Tug likes to help do the dishes.
Mango Curry Chicken
Gifts from visitors- green been & sweet potato casseroles.
With the addition of a food processor, the Safehouse has begun making...
...homemade smoothies!
My Mom's homemade hummus recipe- using the battery pack when we are without power.
"God never meant man to be a purely spiritual creature. That is why He uses material things like bread and wine to put the new life into us. We may think this rather crude and unspiritual. God does not: He invented eating. He likes matter. He invented it."
-C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity 

No comments:

Post a Comment