Sunday, April 7, 2013

Perception vs Reality

If you read my blog or have visited us, you may have this skewed version of our community life. Here is my attempt to shed some light.

Perception: We have deep, philosophical discussions all of the time.
Reality: We talk about bowel movements (everyone is either going too much or too little), sports, food, movies, music, & silliness a lot. Maybe more than normal.

Perception: We all get along, all the time.
Reality: Haha, yeah. We disagree, rub each other the wrong way, & communicate poorly every day. The beauty of that is that I then learn to ask forgiveness & accept apologies.

Perception: We love sweating and being eaten by mosquitoes.
Reality: We live with it & it is normal. However, most of us would jump at the chance to spend the night not being nibbled on by insects or sweating profusely. Or to just sleep in a place where there is not noise from the street or the power blinking on and off.

Perception: We hang out all the time.
Reality: Being spread out through the city, we can often give the illusion that we see each other & hang out every minute of every day. We struggle to be intentional & see each other, just like people Stateside.

Perception: Our lives are a very big sacrifice.
Reality: We choose to be here, and most of us would be really bummed if we had to leave. There are "things" we go without by living here, but we feel life here is best for us as individuals.

I love what I do, where I do it, and who I do it with. It is a gift to get to walk with people through the good, the great, the terrible, the hilarious, and the hard. And it is more fun that way. Perfection is far away, and I learn so much from our scars and bruises. Believe me when I say that the beauty that comes from us has so little to do with us as people & so much to do with the God who chooses to bless our actions, relationships, & work. I have no doubt He sees us, smiles at us, & laughs at us. But also chooses to give us favor. 
Extreme Spooning
*photos by Theresa Moesker*
"Lend me your hand and we'll conquer them all
But lend me your heart and I'll just let you fall
Let me your eyes I can change what you see
But your soul you must keep, totally free."
-Awake My Soul-
Mumford & Sons

1 comment: