Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Give us courage

As we walk through Holy Week and prepare for Easter, I am reading from Common Prayer.
I love the mix of liturgy, songs, and scripture. 

"Save us, Lord, but not us alone: redeem your whole creation."

Some days as I am in Jubilee, my eyes so easily see beautiful things. A little boy learning to walk for the very first time using a walker, every step such a triumph. Our dear nurse, calling to give me updates on a sick cancer patient, telling me she prays for her every night. A musical medley coming from Klinik Jubilee, a room filled with malnourished and developmentally delayed kids playing instruments together.

"Save us, Lord, but not us alone: redeem your whole creation."

Then other days there are haunting faces you cannot forget. A girl in her early twenties diagnosed with cancer. A perfectly healthy baby boy abandoned by her Mom. A pregnant friend who was slapped around by an ex-boyfriend. A little boy with a burned arm.

"Save us, Lord, but not us alone: redeem your whole creation."

So as we enjoy a cooling rain here in Gonaives, I sit in bed and remember that He has redeemed.

"Give us courage to live in a world we cannot fix with hope that is has already been redeemed."

1 comment:

  1. I was drawn to your blog tonight, rereading some posts and catching up on ones I missed! You are speaking to me heart! Only He is worthy and only He is able! This whole missions thing is turning out to be so much more than I ever understood and I still don't get it!

    ReplyDelete