Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Never be put to confusion

We have anywhere between 150-250 patients who come through our Klinik door every week. That is a lot of different faces, illnesses, cuts, and difficulties. The shocking part is that there are patients that I see every week and I still have a difficult time remembering their names. Others I will probably remember for the rest of my life. Certain patients stick with you.

I have been taking care of a special family since I first came to Haiti. I have seen every single member of their family for one reason or another. Serious illnesses, cuts and bruises, pregnancies, etc. Our story has involved lots of joy. The joy is sweet when it comes because we also understand great sorrow. We walked together after they lost a child. Still, to this day, the sweet Dad cries when he talks of losing his youngest.

The end of this week and this coming weekend are some big days for this family and for our Klinik in general. Our nurse will be going to Port au Prince to follow-up with a patient who we sent for cancer treatment. Keziah, my fellow ninja nurse, is taking two patients for surgeries. One for a cleft lip/palate repair, another for plastic surgery to repair damage from a burn. I will be taking this sweet family to a different part of Haiti in hopes of getting some more extensive medical care than what is offered in Gonaives. This is always a gamble, but pray with us for guidance, wisdom, and health.

The name of the Momma in this family is Dieu la. Literally meaning "God is here." Her name was written on a boat out by the ocean. As we passed it today, I was reminded that God is here. Right here.

"In You, O Lord, have I put my trust. Let me never be put to confusion."
Psalm 71:1

No comments:

Post a Comment