Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Rainy days in North Haiti

We are officially in Cap Haitien! I write this as I sit in my office and stare out at the rain that has been falling for 3 days. We are finding our way here- making new friends, wandering out amongst all of the green farm fields, and getting to work. While Gonaives is only three hours from Cap Haitien, they are so different. It is green here- trees and farm fields everywhere. Fat cows. Birds singing in the morning. Oh, and of course the tarantulas. We are also helping take care of 6 dogs, 4 cats, one balding rabbit, 5 puppies, and a hand full of very fat and healthy chickens.
Green charcoal takes farm waste & makes it into business!! Green Charcoal
We are getting our rhythm set and getting used to a different area. We have loved living at the Maison de Benediction, a respite home for children with disabilities, as well as getting to know everyone here at HCBH, which is Haiti Hospital Appeal's partner here in Haiti.
This is how I find the boys most afternoons.
As you read this, people all over the US are heading to the polls to vote. Today in Haiti we remember that local elections here are three years late. Think of the people of Haiti today as you put on your "I Voted" sticker as they fight and struggle to have a voice. If you're interested in hearing more about the political situation in Haiti, check out this ABC Link.
My view from the office Day 3 of rain
"In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.-

1 comment:

  1. Grace! It has been far too long. I enviously read your blog every time you post. I have a friend at work that would love to come volunteer with you. How does that work? One day I'll make it down there myself :)

    ReplyDelete